Tomatoes Recipe | Summer Winter Chicken
Of course my family know this, I LOVE all thing tomatoes; growing tomatoes, eating tomatoes and even admiring them. So now you know too.
Here’s my No. 1 favourite tomato recipe. Quick (25 mins), easy, and awarded the elusive seal of teenage approval.
Simply seasoned chicken, fried with flavoursome cherry tomatoes in a creamy sauce. Pesto (basil, garlic, oil, grated hard cheese, lightly toasted pine nuts) adding extra nutty flavours.
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 200g pack cherry tomatoes
• 3 tbsp pesto (red)
• 3 tbsp crème fraîche (half fat is good)
• Fresh basil leaves
• Heat the oil in a frying pan (ideally non-stick). Add the chicken and fry without moving it until it takes on some colour. Turn the chicken and cook on the other side. Continue cooking for 12-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Season all with some salt and pepper.
• Half the tomatoes and add them into the pan, stirring them for a couple of minutes until they begin to soften. Reduce the heat, stir in the pesto and crème fraîche until it makes a sauce. Scatter a few basil leaves on top if available and serve with rice, mash, salad and broccoli.
• Cut the chicken into pieces rather than whole breasts to further speed cooking.
• Diced peppers added with the tomatoes is also yum.
First seen in the Good Food Magazine 2005.